Kitchens – 2207
This single-family home is located in Fairfax, VA. It has a very weird kitchen layout. The kitchen was set off with a load-bearing wall separated from the main hall and the adjacent family room. It was backed into a powder room and washer/dryer closet. A wall closet separated the kitchen from the dining space.
The old kitchen has a peninsula with cooking space in it and was not very functional for this family’s daily routines.
They wanted an open concept kitchen with lots of amenities, professional-size appliances, and optimal lighting and daylight from the sunroom.
Our design staff has met the couple and laid out plans to bring their dream to reality. The main wall separating the kitchen from the main hall was home to the main soil stack, lots of wiring, ductwork to the second floor, and return air. There was a bearing wall as well. We have to implement a new beam into the design to open the space and relocate all utilities and ductwork to a new chase wall in the corner of the kitchen.
We have taken around 18” from the adjacent powder room and laundry room to widen the kitchen and placed the stove and big hood on that wall.
By way of eliminating closet space and dead spaces behind it, we have made a long counter to the left of the sink. This allowed us to free up a lot of space to the right of the sink for the refrigerator and much-needed pantry cabinets. The sight of the dining room is now clear and filled with gorgeous cabinetry.
A contrasting blue island is now placed in the middle of this kitchen, where there is space to sit and eat.
We used exotic bamboo flooring with a design diversion and soft tone quartz to complement the cabinetry finish. Subway tiles of the backsplash were used to create a timeless elegance.
This couple is ecstatic to cook in their new kitchen and enjoy the outdoor view from it.
Kitchen Renovation ( Open concept )
- Open the wall about the kitchen & hallway to the family room
- Relocate the duct & add a beam to carry the load from the upper level
- Remove peninsula & enlarge kitchen space with a large island
- Relocate the refrigerator to create enough space for 48” range & custom wood hood on the back wall as new focal point
- Relocate the stacked duct & plumbing pipes to open up the wall (open floor plan)
- Island implemented microwave drawer, lots of storage cabinets, & four seating space
- Double wall oven removed, refrigerator relocated to the right side of the sink, & add built in pantry next to it
- Open up kitchen to family room by reshaping the island
- Butler area converted to built-in pantries next to the refrigerator
- Peninsula removed & large island with seating designed
- The pro-range & chimney wood hood were designed to be a new eye-catching feature of this kitchen. The glass cabinets added more flair to the overall design.
- The wide plank hardwood floor with light wood cabinetry gave an airy & open feel to this kitchen