Kitchen – 2209
This couple moved into this Ashburn, VA suburban single-family home community with the hope of revamping the main level of their home, so they can build their dream kitchen.
The old kitchen was cut off from the rest of the area with L-shape Island. It was wasted space for both the south wall and the adjacent pantry closet.
The breakfast room was tiny and didn’t serve any good purpose for their use and their desired table size.
They desired large-scale appliances, a large Island, maximum storage space, wood flooring, lots of glass cabinets, and a wet/coffee bar area.
We busted the wall to the adjacent closet and added floor space to the kitchen. Then, we relocated the pantry entrance with a barn door. This action created a large wall to place (2) 36” built-in refrigerators and surrounding floor-to-ceiling pantry cabinets.
The south wall was expanded by way of dismantling a closet and relocating the gas line for a 60” range under a custom-made Denim blue hood. Just above this large stove is a hand-painted white and blue stone backsplash, setting off this featured wall.
The plumbing was relocated and placed on a new large island. This contrasting custom-made island is painted in a very specific denim blue shade that she wanted to replicate the other art pieces and China that she inherited.
The walls of the breakfast room were widened. The window was replaced with a single window, making space for a much-needed wine/espresso wall, which features an espresso machine, wine fridge, beverage center, and wet bar sink.
The lighting fixtures selected for this project are phenomenal and set off the space beautifully.
We installed wide plank hand scraped flooring throughout to create a seamless connection, and refaced the fireplace in the adjacent family room with complimentary white and blue stacked stone.
All and all, the couple loved the outcome of this remodeling and enjoyed having friends and family over, especially around the holidays. They always wanted to be able to entertain large gatherings and now, she says it is a dream come true for her.
Kitchen Renovation Project
- Enlarge the kitchen by taking down the pantry closet & move the wall
- Insert steel beam to open entire kitchen to mudroom & adding floor space to the kitchen
- Convert twin window in the breakfast area to single window to accommodate space for warp around butler area for a larger kitchen
- Build new built-in pantries attached to the kitchen area
- Enlarge & reshape the island
Open floor plan
- Open up the kitchen to the family room & foyer to accommodate enough space for large size island
- A major amount of plumbing & duct was relocated
- Move the wall to accommodate enough space for a 60” range
- New barn door into pantry
- Empty wall converted to a new butler/breakfast area by eliminating one window & wrap around cabinets
- New 60” pro range & custom hood designed to be the new focal point of this room
- Quartzite on the island was laminated for a thicker countertop to give an elegant look
- Wide plank, hand-scraped flooring throughout to create a seamless connection
- Nice contrast between the distressed look of the flooring & new dove white & navy blue cabinetry
- Custom-made pro range hood decorated with Portuguese tile
New Butler / Breakfast area
- A coffee maker, beverage center, panel ready ice maker & prep sink were implemented into the design to make this bar fully functional
- The new kitchen got brighter with & LED recessed lights & new burnished gold pendant lights
- Fireclay farm style sink with industrial look faucet
- The walls of the breakfast room were widened, and the window was replaced with a single window making space for a much-needed wine/espresso wall
- Espresso machine, wine fridge, beverage center, and wet bar sink