Home Additions – 2117
1970 colonial single-family house in middle of wooded Alexandria suburb has been the home for this couple for over three decades. They have raised three kids and all gone to college, getting married and few moving back again. Go figure!
With growing family, they feel like our running out of room. They have approached us to design and build a two-story addition.
An addition to offer them more living space, a much-needed family room in order to reclaim the breakfast room that they have been using as family room area.
The exterior of this home was half covered in brick the other with stucco and paneling. All which very hard to replicate.
We have designed a large 20’x22’ family room just behind the living room and step down from new breakfast area. Wrapped with big windows, French door leading to future deck area and a side French door leading to a future patio area.
A stoned cover brick chimney fireplace was built in heart of this family room, the walls were all opened up, double pocket French door were connecting living room to new family room allowing them entertain
large group of families.
A mini wet bar was built on north wall for serving drinks. Wide plank wood floors have created a seamless connection to open first floor.
Just above this family room, we have created a master suite bathroom.
Busting through load baring walls converting the old bathroom into a walk-in closet with built ins custom cabinetry
- Through a double door now you are walking into an immaculate master bathroom equipped with:
- free standing bubble massaging tub
- a walk-in steam shower, with body spays and rain shower, wrapped in frameless glass enclosure
private commode area,
- couple of south and west viewing casement windows.
- Large scale vanities and marble top on the east wall made this bathroom a delightful space.
- By the way of bumping five feet over the
kitchen and breakfast room, we have created a space for
second floor laundry room, storage and service sink for them.
- The small hall bathroom was revamped and expanded into new addition, creating space for a long tub (for their six-foot six son) and much-needed large vanity. The entire second floor was redone with added space and larger hallway, new flooring, wainscoting, custom painting, new doors and trim, recess lighting and much much more
- The seamless exterior connection with matching brick and custom painted stucco , new roofing, brick
chimney has made this addition blended into the old structure