2013 NARI Capital CotY, Merit Award Winner, Residential Addition Under $100,000
Young couple with two youngsters lived in 1970 Rambler in Arlington. As their kids growing and their nanny moving in, they all needed more space, bigger kitchen and better backyard space for kids to play.
• Existing kitchen was 10’x10’ adjacent to dining room of about the same size
• Old cabinets, vinyl floor and olive green appliances no longer made this kitchen a happy place to come home to
• The back wall of solid block and brick and interior plaster walls where all big challenges to get rid of and opening up the place
• A narrow hallway leading to bedroom was one of their major concerns and tough to get through. As the traffic path to get to the kitchen has been difficult
• In few consultation session we all agreed on bumping the entire kitchen and dining room back wall and move the kitchen into new addition
• This required breaking through a massive amount of cinder block and brick, leveling a majority of backyard to accomplish the desired grade level for addition and back deck
• In past the only way out to backyard was through a single door of back stairway and it has been a big problem for them
• With a new angle wall we have placed a large French door leading kitchen into back deck area
• The old hallway wall has came down and gotten wider and new path from front to open floor plan kitchen and dining room was put in place
• Another big challenge for this job was to run heating and cooling as well as plumbing into a kitchen area
• The new kitchen had tall cabinets a beautiful cherry finish with a large bay window over sink area leading lot of light form back side.
• New island with seating contributed to addition work space and more storage
• Lot of recessed lights and a stone back splash made the project even more attractive
• New wood flooring was put in place and entire Living, Dining room and kitchen was sanded and refinished to unify the space and make a seamless connection
• A big wooded deck on the entire back was a place for kids to play and couple to retire and grill on their afternoons.