Whole House – 2201
Whole House - 2201
Whole House – 2201
- This family of Physicians and their growing kids live in their Fairfax suburb home for more than 10 years.
- With their busy lives and demanding kids, the requirements for their home have dramatically changed.
- With their in-laws spending a lot of time over because of the pandemic, they wanted their kitchen and the main level to be a lot larger and more accommodating.
- The need for a decent side mudroom, laundry room, and pantry was imminent
- We designed it to have a 10 ft addition at the back of the house by removing a bearing partition wall between the kitchen and adjacent family room and installing a structural steel beam. This made a big seamless connection between the new kitchen and the rest of the house.
- They had a screen porch attached to the old kitchen that was run down and not used by them. We have reconstructed this space into a new seating/ butler space and connected it to the kitchen. The back part of this porch was converted into a new mudroom/laundry room.
- Lots of tall casement windows, a French door, and picture windows were added all around to maximize the daylight on the first floor.
- The entire kitchen was relocated into the new addition with lots of amenities such as a 48” professional range, 48” professional refrigerator, and a humongous island 6’x14’ with waterfall quartzite. The island is equipped with a dishwasher, prep sink, warming drawer, microwave, and a lot more.
- A contrasting blue glass backsplash tile was a glorified color for the kitchen.
- Schemes of quartzite on the countertop, blue cabinetry, and 5” solid plank distressed wood flooring covered the entire house.
- The two-side windows of the family fireplace were converted to French doors leading into the new tall vaulted ceiling screen porch.
- The old gas fireplace was upgraded and covered with 2’x4’ marble stone floor to ceiling to modernize its old brick look
- A new all-glass front door and sidelight were added with a new flagstone front lead walk. The landscaping and list lighting spruced up the curbside appeal of this home.
- Old bookcases in the office were redone and painted with coordinating colors.
- The living room, dining room staircase, library, and foyer all got new wood flooring, trim, and shadowboxing. The powder room was enlarged with new fixtures and now has a glamorous background wall tile.
- We designed an outdoor living space for them by clearing the backyard, excavating, and removing more than a few large trees.
- Walking through any of the four backside French doors, you are now in this beautiful backyard covered with flagstone, an L-shaped stone bench and firepit, and an outdoor kitchenette with a large grill and beverage center covered with a gorgeous granite top.
- This patio’s connected walk has a stepping stone path for the front yard and from the left side, there’s a screen porch that shows a breathtaking view.
- You can hear the sing-along and giggling noises miles away from the family gathering around a campfire on the back patio.
- She never imagined that her old home would turn into this beautiful castle. She said, “I always thought I have to build a home from the ground up to get what I want, but now, you have proved me wrong.”
- They love spending every minute of it before kids run away to college.