2014 NARI Capital CotY, Merit Award Winner, Residential Addition $100,000 to $250,000
Two story colonial home in the heart of Vienna, VA recently purchased by a growing family wanting to expand their horizon.
In a nutshell the existing décor did not agree with wife acquired style. Every room was boxy and closed up and there was no open floor plan.
Their vision was open layout, a lot of light, soft wall and floor colors.
- After our design team met up with the couple, it was even more obvious that existing space would not meet their expectations.
- They all decided to add a two story addition to the back of existing breakfast room and small upstairs bedroom just above it.
- The old breakfast area was too small for their daily get meals and their teenage son needed more space in his bedroom.
- They also decided to add a sunroom/family room to the left side of their old family room. This new room will offer vaulted ceiling with four skylights and lot of windows with a better view of the side and back yard.
- The old kitchen was in the center and partitioned by a wall of the adjacent family room, front hall and Dining room. We have removed the bearing wall between the kitchen and family room and implemented a large beam to handle second
- floor load, this opened up the kitchen to the old family room and created a breakfast bar, seating area decorated with hanging lights. The ductwork was relocated and a new Island hood was placed in place old ventilation.
- The right side bearing wall of old family room was removed and a new structure beams took the place of it. This action created a continuous flow between the new sunroom and old family room.
- Separated by this stoned double sided fireplace, this new sunroom is connected to a new outside sun deck furnished in Trex material. A wall mounted LED TV and surround sound system offer a cozy setting for family gatherings.
- The old family room with new lighting and double sides Gas fireplace covered with stacked stone now serves as a casual seating space. One corner of this room is taken by a new 8 ft long built in desk.
- We have installed matching Brazilian cherry in new and some of the old parts to create a seamless connection.
- Newer remodeled kitchen with new porcelain floors and matching backsplash tiles has spruced up the old kitchen. Added pantry and butler cabinetry in the new extended breakfast area offer more storage and better work space.
- The new breakfast room now can offer more daylight from three different angles. As well as more space for an eating table.
- The large 12’x 20’ Boy’s bedroom is new home to New England Patriot’s fan. Also offering lots of daylight and larger closet space for him.
- The Old Laundry room was converted to a new mudroom with locker style cabinetry and a place for kids to store their bag packs. New plumbing and electrical were implemented in a new closet in upper hallway to facilitate the new washer and dryer.
- The second floor structure was laid from side to side with three main bearing walls made removal of interior walls very difficult.
- By eliminating middle walls, creating new cases for electrical, plumbing and duct work were much more challenging.
- Creating a contemporary style addition, while maintaining some of the old parts and furniture of existing house took an extraordinary effort of our design team to keep focused, but they were determined to achieve that.
- Matching with old style aluminum siding and fascia boards, while maintaining a seamless exterior connection.
- An open floor plan, with contemporary style settings was what these homeowners dreamt of and now they get to enjoy it.
- An updated kitchen, with new granite top, upgraded appliances, large porcelain floors, all and all offers more to the daily lives of this family.