2021 NARI METRO DC COTY GRAND AWARD BASEMENT $100,000 TO $250,000
The old couple residing in the golf course community wanted to expand their horizon and finish up their unfinished basement for entertainment purposes and more.
Their wish list consisted of the following:
- Exercise room
- Full-scale movie theater
- Guest bedroom
- Full-size master bath suite style
- Full bar area
- Entertainment and pool table area
- Tray ceiling
Our design team went to work and drew up plans for the project. Everyone in the team mutually agreed that we would accommodate all of the client’s wishes.
- The placement of the stairs has made it difficult for our designers to create a cohesive layout
- The steel columns sunk in due to the family room above
- We needed to create a hidden compartment for all AV equipment
- The location of the bar and the bathroom are both far from the soil stack.
- Through major concrete breaking and running ground plumbing, we have used a dead corner of the basement by a staircase to tuck in the bar area.
- The dual entrance bathroom from the bedroom and main entertainment area was located on the far wall to create a large uninterrupted main floor area
- The use of a custom barn door as a closet provided major floor space to the bedroom
The couple’s new movie theater room consisted of multi-level seating, sound panel walls, a couple of row of recliner seating, 120” screen, state-of-the-art AV system, custom pattern carpeting, surround sound & in-wall speakers, custom molding and trim with fluted columns, and custom mahogany theater doors.
The bar area has a copper panel ceiling and rope lighting inside the tray area, wrapped around Cherry cabinets and a dark Granite top. It has lots of seating stools, and the backsplash is decThe couple’s new movie theater room consisted of multi-level seating, sound panel walls, a couple of row of recliner seating, 120” screen, state-of-the-art AV system, custom pattern carpeting, surround sound & in-wall speakers, custom molding and trim with fluted columns, and custom mahogany theater doors.
orated with glass and listed glass cabinets (stand tall in this basement).
The main seating area has a linear fireplace covered in floor-to-ceiling ledger stone and an embedded TV above it.
The exercise room has two French doors, full mirror walls, a couple of storage closets, and rubber floors, giving them a fully equipped gym at home.
The wasted space under the staircase was used as a hidden bookcase for storing AV equipment.
The new bathroom is fully equipped with body sprays, a large corner shower, double vanities, and lots of amenities.
With the trim work, crown molding, tray ceiling, wainscoting, wide plank engineered flooring, matching stairs and railing, all of it has made this basement the jewel of this community.